1. Why did Mr. Lockwood go to Wuthering Heights? What kind of welcome did he
2. Why did Lockwood return to Wuthering Heights uninvited, and how do the results of his
visit affect the remainder of the novel?
3. When Lockwood first enters Wuthering Heights, who lives there?
4. What feeling do we get from Wuthering Heights and its occupants in these first few
5. Describe Heathcliff.
6. What glimpses from the past does Lockwood discover from Catherine's books? 7. Whose ghost visits Mr. Lockwood? What is Heathcliff's reaction to the ghost?
1. Who is Nelly Dean?
2. What do the gifts Hindley and Catherine ask their father to bring them reveal about
3. What are Heathcliff's origins?
4. Why does Hindley despise Heathcliff?
5. Describe Catherine.
6. Compare and contrast Catherine's and Heathcliff's reactions to the Lintons at
7. Why did Edgar get applesauce dumped on him?
8. Catherine is pained by Hindley's punishment of Heathcliff, yet she remains as the
hostess of her guests. What change does this reveal? 9. What does Heathcliff begin to plan?
10. Who is Hareton Earnshaw?
11. How does Frances' death affect Hindley?
12. Edgar gets a good look at Catherine's "other side." What is his reaction?
1. Who saves Hareton's life?
2. Why does Catherine accept Edgar's proposal when she knows Heathcliff is a part of her
3. Why does Heathcliff disappear?
4. How has Heathcliff changed during his absence of three years?
5. Who is Isabella, and what does she think of Heathcliff?
6. How does Heathcliff begin his revenge on Hindley (and ultimately gain control of his